Summary of Experience:
Malik Mirza is engaged with the Financial Services, accounting and auditing Profession for twelve years.
He is a Chartered Accountant, a Chartered Certified Accountant (UK) and Masters in Business Administration. He is Chairman of the Members’ Network Panel of ACCA (UK) Pakistan and a Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan. Malik Mirza started his career from - from PricewaterhouseCoopers (A.F.Ferguson & Co.), Islamabad and completed his four years mandatory training of Chartered Accountancy during which he qualified in first attempt all his professional qualifications.
He served as Manager Internal Audit at British American Tobacco Company prior to joining The First MicroFinance Bank Limited as the Head of Finance & Company Secretary. Malik Mirza later joined Trans World Associates which is a subsidary of Orascom Telecom. Currently he is working as General Manager Finance at Trans World Assocaites looking after all matters related to finance, tax, legal and corporate.
He has authored a book titled “Time Flies – Do You Want To Take A Ride?” for busy professionals so that they could manage their time effectively resulting into increased productivity. He has conducted sessions on Effective Time Management for Chartered Accountants at Lahore and Islamabad.
He was also invited to conduct session on Time Management at the Management development program of Tourism Promotion Services Pakistan (Owners and Operators of Serena Hotels).
Mr. Mirza was engaged by Ed-Links – an organization working with USAID to develop trainers’ and trainees’ manual on the Financial Management of Educational Institutions. The manuals were used by USAID to conduct training of educational officers from Sind and Baluchistan and later on, 500 copies of manuals were provided at the Government Educational Institutions at Sind and Baluchistan.
Mr. Mirza was engaged by National Rural Support Program to conduct a twelve day workshop for over 120 of its managers and branch staff on systems manual at Bahawalpur. Further, Mr. Mirza worked with Shore Bank International for development of trainer and trainee manual for Financial Management and Financial Analysis. Later on, training manuals were used to deliver training to over 150 managers of Khushali Bank.
Mr. Mirza was associated with School of Frankfurt, Germany and DFID in studies related to micro finance in Pakistan. He recently developed a detailed presentation on the need and process of developing accounting manual which was delivered to Secretary Generals of All Pakistan Chambers of Commerce at Lahore on the platform of Centre for International Private Enterprise.
Full-time Employment History:
General Manager Finance: Trans World Associates (Private) Ltd. – September 2007 todate:
Trans World Associates (Private) Limited is a subsidiary of Orascom Telecom Media & Technology Holding S.A.E. The company owns Pakistan’s only private sub-marine fiber optic cable from Karachi to Oman and Fujairah (UAE).
- Successfully implemented Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system in seven functions
- Negotiated deal of financial restructuring with the Financial syndicate of nine financial institutions.
Major responsibilities include supervision of:
- Business planning, monitoring of forecasts and reporting to Orascom Telecom Holding S.A.E, Egypt
- Liability management, dealing with financial institutions & treasury management
- Tax & insurance management
- Procurement (international and local)
- Corporate finance, correspondence with legal counsel and related matters
- All matters related to finance and corporate secretarial practices
Head of Finance & Company Secretary – The First MicroFinance Bank Ltd (FMFB), Islamabad; September 2004 to September 2007;
The Bank is part of The Aga Khan Development Network and is a public limited unlisted company incorporated in Pakistan. The Bank provides microfinance services including loans, deposits, remittances, insurance etc to the needy and poor people with a branch network across Pakistan.
Major responsibilities included:
- Development of business plans, budgets, operational work plan
Prepared detailed business plan included financial projections related to monthly cash flows of the bank from branch operations, consolidated and branches’ balance sheets, monthly branch wise profit and loss statements, assumptions related to income, expenses, cost of funds, yields on portfolio etc. for submission to the Board of Directors and Shareholders
- Financial reporting to the stake holders:
Shareholders were provided with monthly financial statements including profit & loss account, budget comparisons, balance sheets and ratios with analysis. Board of Directors is provided with quarterly financial and operations report. The State Bank was provided with several financial reports as per the requirements of applicable prudential regulations
- Corporate secretarial matters:
Dealing with the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan for compliance with all the related requirements of the Companies Ordinance, 1984. As a company secretary, I was responsible for preparation of Board meeting agenda; circulate working papers and recording of minutes of the quarterly Board meetings.
- Treasury management & banking arrangements
Surplus funds of the Bank were invested in Government Bonds, TFCs and Mutual Funds. I supervised all front office tasks including dealing with brokers, mutual fund advisors and other treasury managers. Further, I was responsible for all banking arrangements including opening up of bank accounts, amendments in power of attorneys etc
- Financial analysis and performance reviews
Based on monthly financial results, analysis was performed for President / CEO and the shareholders. Analysis comprised of ratio computations, comparison of budget with actual performance and analysis of reasons of significant variances.
- Financial control, annual audits, preparation of statutory accounts, corporate taxation, insurance, inter branch reconciliations and all other matters related to accounting and book keeping
Achievements: Consultative Group to Assist the Poor (CGAP), World Bank’s affiliate institution awarded financial statements of the Bank with top financial transparency award twice i.e. for 2004 and 2005 for transparency, level of disclosure and adherence to international accounting standards / CGAP’s disclosure requirements.
Audit Manager – British American Tobacco Company (BAT), Islamabad – October 2003 to September 2004
Major responsibilities included:
- Risk assessments, test of controls and updating of risk registers
Ensuring balance of risks and control throughout the system
- Conducting risk based operational audits of all areas and ensuring that the weaknesses identified are corrected
- Ensuring compliance with the Code of Corporate Governance
- Arranging audit committee meetings
- Participation in international company audit
Assistant Manager – PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) Islamabad – February 2003 to September 2003;
PwC is an international assurance and business advisory firm having offices in more than 150 countries. Major responsibilities included:
- Planning, execution and review of audits and related assignments including system reviews, system designs, statutory audits and related work.
- Supervision of Statutory audits and system reviews
2000 Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA, UK)
2001 Masters in Business Administration – MBA
2002 Chartered Accountant (Pakistan)
2003 Certified Internal Auditor, USA
Membership of Professional Organizations:
2003 Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
2003 Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan (ICAP)
Continuous Professional Development (CPD):
2010 Created a blog by the name of www.wisdomfrombooks.com. The blog is for sharing ideas from various business, leadership and management books.
2010 Participated in three weeks Success Communication and Success Leadership program organized by Toast Masters International in London, UK
2010 Authored a BOOK so far titled as “Time Flies – Do you want to take a ride?” The book is available in market for sale. This book comprise of tools and techniques for effective time management for busy professionals.
2009 Participated in a three days training organized by Orascom Telecom Holding S.A.E.in Cairo, Egypt on Financial Management & reporting
2009 Was a faculty member at the Institute of Cost & Management Accountants of Pakistan, teaching Business Strategy
2005 Participated in three weeks extensive international microfinance training program held at Turin, Italy (ILO Training Centre) organized by Boulder Institute of MicroFinance, one of the world renowned financial sector training institute in 2005. Training included courses related to management concentration track in the field of microfinance covering topics related to risk management, lending methodologies, financial analysis, micro-insurance, micro-leasing etc.
Sample of Consulting/Training Work for Business/Public and Development Organizations:
Preparation of Manual on financial analysis, financial management and accounting systems
- USAID – EdLinks Project; Developed comprehensive trainee and trainers’ manual on financial management comprising of fourteen chapters for six days workshop conducted through the Academy of Education Planning & Management, Pakistan for the Education Managers from Sind & Baluchistan provinces.
- USAID – CNFA: Preparation of comprehensive manual on debt & liability management for the purposes of two days training to the staff of Sungi Development Foundation.
- Khushali Bank Ltd (largest MicroFinance Bank of Pakistan); development of comprehensive training manual on financial analysis and management of a sustainable branch based on USAID methodology of preparation of training manuals (as imparted by Shore Bank International)
- OMV G.m.b.H – Pakistan Branch – Development of Financial Procedures Manual. The manual covered all areas of finance related to comprehensive accounting for exploration and development phases, petroleum concession agreements, joint ventures, gas pricing agreements etc.
- ACCA – SMEDA: Preparation of manuals on workshops related to accounting and book keeping and SME financing
- The First MicroFinance Bank Limited – Accounting and Finance manual developed which was used as standard operating procedure by the Finance department of the Bank
- Norwegian Project Office – Afghanistan – Conducted Diagnostic system review of the operations of the organization at Afghanistan and Pakistan. Provided recommendation for improvement in organizational setup and implementation strategy for the same.
- World Population Foundation – Preparation of financial procedures manual and standards operating procedures for implementation
- Department For International Development – UK (DFID); Conducted research on Microfinance in Pakistan 2010 and beyond, prepared and submitted a research report for DFID’s Financial Inclusion Program (FIP)
- School of Frankfurt, Germany – Conducted research on state of Micro Finance in Pakistan, potential innovations, financial instruments which can be introduced and impact of donors’ intervention, prepared and submitted a research report.
Trainings and workshops
- NRSP Bank; conducted extensive two weeks workshop for around 50 branch managers, regional managers and other staff at Bahawalpur on procedure manuals of the micro finance bank in May 2011.
- USAID – CNFA; Workshop on debt and liability management: A two days workshop organized for Citizens Network for Foreign Affairs (CNFA) under its “Improving Livelihood and Enterprise Development” (ILED) program for officials of Sungi Development Foundation and CNFA on Debt & Liability Management in February 2010 at Islamabad
- The Khushali Bank Ltd (one of the largest microfinance banks in Pakistan); Conducted Eighteen day workshops at Islamabad, Lahore, Sukkur, Karachi and Multan to train around 150 Relationship Managers and Territory Relationship Managers on financial analysis and financial management in August 2008.
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants – UK; Four workshops conducted:
- Accounting and Book keeping for Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) – Rawalpindi, August 2008
- Accounting and Book keeping for SMEs – Faisalabad, February 2007
- SME Financing – Quetta, February 2007
- Understanding Financial statements for journalists – March 2005
- USAID – Shore Bank International – Conducted a three day workshop on financial analysis and management organized by Shore Bank International Ltd for managers from certain Microfinance Institutions at Lahore in September 2007.
- ‘The Pakistan Accountant’, Magazine of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan (ICAP) in 2002 / 2003 issues. Articles published on Corporate Governance Positive mental attitude, Motivation and Time management
- ‘Focus’, Magazine of The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) – an article published on adding value through internal audit
Malik Mirza is regularly been asked to deliver motivational lectures and presentations to the educational institutes and professional forums. Few speaking engagements are
- Students’ convention organzied by the Aga Khan Education Services, Pakistan at Islamabad
- Students convention oragnized by AKES at Peshawar
- Youth Coordination Forum of AKES at Islamabad
- Roots University
English Fluent in Reading, Writing and Speaking
Urdu Fluent in Reading, Writing and Speaking